Friday 5th November: Today, India’s largest real estate developer, DLF officially unveils The Camellias Club: one of the largest wellbeing and leisure residential facilities in the world: a futuristic urban oasis for residents of DLF’s new super-luxury residence The Camellias in Gurugram, India.
The Camellias Club is the vision of six of the very best designers from across the world: a communal experience centered around holistic wellness, far exceeding the standards of most five-star luxury hotels.
The onset of the global pandemic has reshaped urban living, highlighting the importance of wellbeing, community and sustainable living. And so the launch of The Camellias – the first sustainable super luxury residential development in India – and its Club, as a unique hub that supports the health and wellbeing of residents, could not be more relevant.
From the outset, sustainability has been a guiding principle at The Camellias. It is India’s first residential development to be awarded the LEED Platinum Certification by the US Green Building Council for its sustainability and energy conservation effort. Further still, DLF is the only Indian real estate company listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. This careful and considered approachis evident throughout the Camellias development: solar power significantly reduces energy consumption, all green areas – including the golf course – are entirely irrigated by recycled treated water, and over 100 mature trees (which were due to be felled in other parts of the city) were transplanted to a new home at The Camellias. These trees form part of the 25,000 carefully-preserved mature trees in the wider DLF5 Golf Links neighbourhood: an area that has the largest diversity of migratory birds in the region.
DLF worked with Shawn Sullivan, Partner and Studio Leader at Rockwell Group on the architectural and interior design of The Club. Jay Wright, CEO of The Wright Fit is behind state-of-the-art fitness centre; Ingo Schweder, Founder of GOCO Hospitality designed the spa; Arnold Chan, Founder of Isometrix Lighting + Design delivered the lighting design; and Gerdo Aquino, Co-CEO of SWA Group designed the landscape architecture. All worked closely with the principal architect of The Camellias, Architect Hafeez Contractor.
The premise of The Camellias Club was to create a 160,000 sq ft elevated living space at the heart of The Camellias community. True to this vision, the bi-level Club comprises seven ‘energy zones’: Active (the fitness centre/gym), Social (the ballroom, many restaurants and retail proposition), Regenerative (the indoor and outdoor pools), Renewed (the spa), Creative (the performance hall), Competitive (the bowling alley, karaoke, games room) and Relaxed (the yoga and Pilates studios and meditation garden).
Inspired by the vital energies, these seven zones encourage a connection with self, others and the natural world in what is undoubtedly the most imaginative bi-level Club space created anywhere in the world and, more importantly, one which has environmentally sustainability at the very core.
The Camellias Club innovatively blends this sense of connectedness and community with an unprecedented level of service and world-class amenities, on a scale like no other:
- The 30,000 sq ft spa features a 25m heated indoor pool, jacuzzies, vitality pool, floatation pool, salt room, steam room, snow room, sauna, floatation room, Hammam room, Rhassoul room, therapy rooms (each with a sunken garden), a hair salon and barber shop
- The 12,000 sq ft fitness centre is the first project of this scale undertaken outside of the US by the critically-acclaimed Wright Fit. The gym features the full range of top-of-the-line equipment (think: inclined treadmills, skill bikes, TRX facilities) alongside a professional boxing ring, rock-climbing wall, Pilates studio and yoga room (complete with private sunken courtyard garden offering rainwater experiences on warm days and hammocks for aerial yoga). The outdoor fitness offering includes an all-weather sports field, mini soccer field, tennis courts, squash courts and plastic-free children’s play area
- The clubhouse is home to five F&B outlets that includes a multicuisine restaurant, two bars, a patisserie and boulangerie, and a health café & juice bar, each offering a curated, globally-inspired dining experience. The main restaurant, Meros (Greek for ‘part’) is more akin to a series of restaurants in terms of its design and offers a variety of cuisines – including continental, Indian and Asian – al-fresco dining and three private dining rooms (one a Chef’s Studio). Residents also have use of a piano bar, French-style boulangerie and brasserie, juice bar and sports bar, which plays hosts to top DJs and live-bands at weekends. For private functions there is the ballroom and performance hall: the latter hosting movie screenings, theatre, recitals and talks
- The clubhouse also has plenty by way of entertainment: a four lane bowling alley, games lounge, karaoke lounge, cigar room and The Den (a private poker and card room)
- A business centre and a luxury retail space inside the club. And and areas such as creche, medical facilities, library, art gallery, gourmet grocery store and some more lifestyle retail points in the promenade of the tower lobbies.
Fluid transitions between the interior and exterior of the clubhouse maintain a connection with the natural world that surrounds and The Camellias’ residential towers:
- A monumental 1.3 acre water garden – itself divided into five fan-shaped reflecting pools – creates the sensation of walking on water and perfectly reflects the starry skies of an evening
- The seven landscaped roofs of The Club are shaped to signify the petals of a camellia flower when seen from the residences
- A small orchard of lemon and lime trees offers a shady spot for a stroll
- A sculpture and art garden will soon host exhibitions
- An amphitheatre will champion the performing arts
The feeling of fluidity and calm is enhanced by the use of finely-crafted natural materials and organic elements throughout the design. In the lobby of The Club, a dramatic bronze and marble spiral staircase creates a theatrical entrance, while a grand fluid chandelier cascades like rain and a leafy interior courtyard opens to the sky.
Located in the highly sought-after millennial city of Gurugram, The Camellias Club is unquestionably the first of its kind in the world in terms of scale, amenities, facilities and service. The Camellias sets a new standard for sustainable luxury living in India and is one of the most exciting and coveted residential addresses in the country. Credited with bringing the concept of super luxury condominium living to India, DLF has created an exceptional living and working space in this new city, redefining not only the way real estate looks at luxury, but also how luxury looks at real estate.
Aakash Ohri, Group Executive Director and Chief Business Officer at DLF Home Developers Ltd. says:
“The Camellias Club spans an impressive 160,000 sq ft of space and, within this, we have brought together a range of amenities and services that outclass most such Clubs anywhere in the world. Fine dining sits along cutting-edge fitness and wellness facilities and cleverly-designed entertainment and retail spaces: all with exemplary sustainability credentials. The Club is designed with its community in mind: an extension of the residences and a second home for those that live there: discerning, international families of all ages.”